There are many things that are repeated about millennials but, among them, there is not that they usually rely on promotional messages from brands to make their purchasing decisions. In fact, the situation is quite different from that and is so to speak diametrically opposite. telemarketing spain are quite suspicious of brand ads.
It’s not the only thing they don’t show their confidence in. Nor do they do it in some of the tools that have encouraged consumption in recent decades, such as mortgages, and in the most common medium for those brand advertisements that generate so much suspicion, the traditional media. It is not that it is a question of a generation of distrustful nature, but rather that within what really matters to them and what they value do not include the values that underpin these realities.
This has been confirmed by a survey among members of that generation carried out by Elite Daily and Millennial Branding. “They are used to not trusting CEOs and politicians and companies in general,” says Dan Schawbel, the founder of Millennial Branding , to Fortune .
His statements – and the study’s conclusions – can be translated into numbers (and pretty conclusive numbers). Thus, of those surveyed, only 1% of millennials say that a convincing ad would make them believe more in a brand (and that leaves 99% who are not so easy to convince).
Nor are the traditional media able to convince them. 33% prefer to find out about blogs, which become their main sources of information (taking into account that in these types of surveys media born only for the internet are usually included in that list, it could be considered that it is the online media who convince). Only a scant 3% prefer television networks, newspapers or even books to influence their decisions.
Why, then, are De Phone Number wary of traditional media and advertising? The main reason is authenticity. They like online media because many times they have only one person behind them, the blogger who shares the things that interest them or those they know in depth and who therefore does not hide any political agenda or any consumer agenda in their content. They are people who simply talk about what seems relevant to them. 43%, in fact, put authenticity as the main value when they consume information, ahead of the content itself (important for 32%).
In relation to brands, millennials follow the same ideas to assess what or who convinces them. They also value authenticity and expect a certain transparency. 58% expect brands to publish content online before they decide to make their purchase (that is, they expect brands to have spaces on the network where they can access all the information they consider relevant).
Be active and have a voice
And on top of all this, there’s the question of position: Millennials no longer want to be silent consumers, who receive the products and have no power over them. Generation Y, according to the study’s conclusions , wants to be an active part in all the products they come across in their daily lives, having opinions and wishes about all the things they consume, from, the report makes clear, cars to phones .
Likewise, they hope that the relationship with brands is not unidirectional (effectively: the ads of the past are meaningless) and they seek to establish conversations between them and the companies with whom they want to connect (hence why social networks are so important to reach these consumers).
62% of those surveyed say that they will be more likely to become a loyal consumer of a brand if it interacts with them on social media. The presence in social networks is diverse and its influence is also diverse. 43% say that Facebook is the one who marks their shopping habits the most, followed by Instagram (for 22) and Pinterest (for 12).
The importance they give to social networks is not only focused on them as a space to talk with brands, they also believe that social media should be an important part in the decision-making of companies. They consider that what happens on social networks should be taken into account when developing a product. In fact, 42% would be interested in helping companies in the development of their products and services.
How to convince them to accept a brandAlthough the millennial audience is a difficult audience (at least if you keep thinking in terms of past generations), it is not impossible to get into their heart. Social media can help create consumers devoted to a brand. The characteristics of your products can also do it.
According to the data in the report, to get millennial consumers to be loyal to the brand you have to focus on product quality, creating a good shopping experience and supporting society (being a brand with certain principles). This last point is very important: 75% of those surveyed believe that it is fair or very important for a company to give back to society what it offers rather than simply making a profit.